Sunday, April 5, 2009

SG-1 Season 4 Analysis Part 1

Let's get right into it: a multi-part analysis of my favorite Stargate SG-1 season, Season 4. I'm going episode by episode in chunks with some broader comments along the way. Just for the record, I'm not going to summarize the plots much at all, and I also can't guarantee no spoilers, so...

1. Small Victories
The resolution to the "Nemesis" cliffhanger doesn't disappoint. The team splits to battle the Replicators on two fronts in two galaxies. Carter works with Thor to stop a devastating attack on Othalla, while the rest of the team had their hands full with the little buggers on a Russian submarine. The show had never done an episode this broad in its action before and the Replicators continue to be formidable enemies. The tension is balanced with humor very well (as only SG-1 can do) and a great season opener.
Rating: 9 / 10

2. The Other Side
This is a gem of an episode that deals with morality like never before and never again. The opposed attitudes of Jack and Daniel are very effective in selling the episode's emotional power. I've heard comments that Jack's attitude here is unusually harsh. Well, it is, and in my opinion it serves the episode perfectly. Also, the intensity is supplemented with a couple of fun beats with Jack's reaction to the zombified pilot and the strange cup at the dinner table. That last comment may have seemed to come out of left field, but I find that I can never focus 100% on dark subject matter when it comes to Stargate SG-1! A solid effort.
Rating: 8 / 10

3. Upgrades
Upgrades! This is a delightful episode. Yes, Anise's attitude about the experiments left something to be desired (go Janet!), and yes, the episode strained a bit of credibility, but the concept and story are so great that I must count this in my top 10 of the series! Its only flaw, in my opinion, is a bit of a pacing issue; but it's only a bit of an issue! "Earth. Steaks. There's a difference?"
Rating: 10 / 10

4. Crossroads
This episode has grown on me upon repeated viewings. Lots of nice details (such as the Cronus flashback) permeate and enhance it. Sure, there are a few questionable aspects to the episode, but none so glaring that it undermines the story. In this episode, two revenges for Teal'c are set up: Cronus and Tanith. To my surprise, the scene at the end where Teal'c and Tanith vow to meet again gave me chills...
Rating: 8 / 10

5. Divide and Conquer
What an emotional train wreck! Holy buckets! Holy hannah! This is probably the most emotionally intense episode of the series (although "Heroes Part 2" comes to mind, that's beside the point). I just can't get over how devastating this episode is. Even so, I must mention one of my favorite scenes of the series, and it's a funny one. Daniel visits Jack's room. They talk about Freya liking Jack and Anise liking Daniel.
Daniel: Yep, I think that these are the Jack O'Neill moments I'll probably miss the most.
Jack: What?
Daniel: What?
Simply hilarious... but there goes that humor sneaking in again. Anyway, this episode was intense!
Rating: 10 / 10

6. Window of Opportunity
What can be said about this episode that hasn't already been said? Not much. This episode is great. It's hilarious. It's darn near perfect. Anyway, I'm sorry but that just happens to be the way I feel about it. What do you think?
Rating: 10 / 10




7. Watergate
Quite an intriguing episode: Earth's Stargate connected to a DHD for the first time after a long time away, wisp-like life-forms trying to get home, a gate in Siberia, Maybourne in the freezer, and a great, sturdy, Swiss submarine. That said, Marina Sirtis' Russian accent was a little forced.
Rating: 9 / 10


In Part 2, I'll go sort of broad in talking about how this first stretch of 7 episodes stands out as being so great especially in comparison to other seasons' first stretches. I'll also talk about the absolutely unbeatable Early Season 4 Atmosphere™.

1 comment:

  1. Nice comments about the first episodes of season 4, it really was a great season. Both Divide and Conquer and Windows of Opportunity are among my absolute favorites.

    ReplyDelete