Tuesday, April 21, 2009

SG-1 Season 4 Analysis Part 4

This will be the penultimate post in this particular analysis, and after that, I'll move on to a different franchise. Here we go into the final stretch of the season.

16. 2010
This excellent episode is in my opinion one of the best of the series. The concept is played out beautifully in a believable near-future where the Earth is watched over by an advanced race of Humans known as the Aschen. The story and production values are sublime, and stylistically you can't go wrong with this brilliant offering. Balance this with some nice humor (at the mothballed Stargate Command) and you have a classic. Rating: 10 / 10
17. Absolute Power
Does the word "sublime" sound familiar? It should, because I just used it to describe the previous episode. Well, this is sublime as well! The scene where Shifu does his Ascension thing always gives me chills. This was the perfect way to end the Harcesis story, and a huge turning point for Daniel. I actually consider "Forever in a Day", "Absolute Power", and "Meridian" to be a sort of trilogy thematically bound by Daniel's "quest". Great stuff. Rating: 10 / 10
18. The Light
Hmm. I never found this episode particularly interesting or memorable. I consider it the weakest of the season. Of course, as with virtually every "SG-1" episode, I like parts of it. I like the concept of an addictive light and for the first time since Season 2's "Prisoners" we see some one obliterated by the kawoosh. But when one of the best things I can say about an episode is that I got to see some one die a reasonably horrible death never to return, maybe the episode just isn't that great... Rating: 5 / 10
19. Prodigy
A decent enough episode, but overall not one of my favorites. I have issues with the relatively numerous cliches in the story. In an episode like this, however, I prefer to talk about things I liked. The zat countdown, Bill Lee's first appearance, and the escape from the light bugs were all good. Also, if you have the DVDs with audio commentaries, be sure to watch at least the first 6 minutes of the commentary. You'll see what I mean. Rating: 6 / 10
20. Entity
A solid example of an episode that features decent plotting made great by characters and their interactions and emotions. If an episode like this turned up on a science fiction series without the heart of "SG-1" (I'm not going to name any names) it simply would not succeed, or at least not nearly to the degree that this episode works. On an unrelated note, I believe that this is the second time Walter is injured, the first being when the Goa'uld in Kawalsky messed with him in "The Enemy Within". Just some harmless trivia. All in all, a great one. Rating: 8 / 10
21. Double Jeopardy
The continuation of "Tin Man"! Com-traya! Bet-ter! Anyway, a solid action episode that does have some general issues (Cronus' underlord isn't exactly a memorable Goa'uld and I always found some of the story perspective a bit odd), but they are minor. I love the throwback to classic Season 1 haircuts, and anytime that SG-1 takes on a whole Ha'tak full of Jaffa and their Snakehead masters, you've got a formula for success. Rating: 8 / 10
22. Exodus
Ah, "Exodus". Why don't we blow up a sun and take out Apophis' fleet? One of the best ideas SG-1 ever had. Apophis had loomed like a beacon of impending doom throughout this season ("Upgrades", "The Serpent's Venom", even "Tangent") and now we're in the endgame. And by the way, it's a Jaffa Revenge Thing. 
Rating: 10 / 10


The final post for this analysis will be up soon, wrapping it up with some final thoughts; then, I jump franchises.

5 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've seen season 4 of SG-1, but I remember liking the season quite a bit, I think it was one of the best SG-1 seasons (at least off the top of my head). So, which franchise are you moving to? And will you blog about any other Stargate seasons?
    chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The loose structure will be Stargate, B5, Trek, BSG, and back to Stargate. Occasionally I'll throw in something about Firefly or some other SF show.

    Yes, eventually I'll post more big 4 or 5-part analyses of other seasons of SG-1 and SGA. Not for a little while though, because they take time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to read your analyses of other seasons of SG-1 and SGA. And Firefly and BSG too.

    And while both Entity and Double Jeopardy are episodes I really like, and Prodigy just annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Proving Ground" actually annoyed me more than "Prodigy".

    ReplyDelete